Jet Lag

So glad to be home.  I've got jet lag, but not the kind of jet lag from traveling you might think...the kind you get from no sleep because you're sleeping at the airport.  Well, not in the airport, but at a hotel right next to the airport.  By 2:30 am, I laid there counting airplanes taking off and landing--I was up to 24.  I had to work at a live event for my boss this weekend and was actually looking forward to spending the night in a nice hotel room with pay preview, room service and a big, giant king size bed all to myself with no sweaty little head laying on my neck all night, waking up with a mouth full of the Doodle's hair in my mouth and a wet bed at 4:00 am.  I thought about how fun it would be to go out and enjoy a nice dinner by myself, find the closest Ross or Marshalls and maybe have a glass of wine and chase it with a couple of Tylenol PMs, come back to the hotel room have a nice hot bath, watch a movie and pull the black out curtains for one heck of a night's sleep. 

No such luck.

The event set up on Saturday night was a nightmare and was completely wrong at the hotel. 
I spent the night doing manual labor moving tables and chairs around a meeting room for 3 hours.
I then had to find the nearest Target to get my boss a new Stop Watch.
I completely missed dinner other than some cashews I found in my purse and a Pop Tart from the vending machine.
No fine wine.
No room service.
No Tylenol pm because I had to wake up at 6:00am and I was afraid if I took it, I wouldn't wake up on time.

And then there were the airplanes.
Oh so many airplanes.
Instead of counting sheep, I counted airplanes.
I laid there as the planes wizzed by wondering where could all these people be going?  It was a bit of a reminder to me of how little I travel. I can't remember the last time I was on a plane bound for somewhere.

Then the glass-half-empty in me kept thinking that one of these planes was going down and hard by way of the 5th floor at the Clarion Hotel at the San Francisco airport. I had pangs of jealousy that Jim was snuggled up in our bed with both of our son's getting kicked in the back all night long and that he got to leisurely wake up with them and watch cartoons and drink his coffee.

My alarm went off at 5:58 am.  I didn't even bother hitting the snooze button. I was already wide awake.  Maybe I've jumped to conclusions with Jim assuming how fabulous it was to stay out of town and away from the kids for a few I know what he means when he says how hard it is and how much he misses the kids.

I really missed my family.

There really is no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment