Waking Up With a Giant 4th Grader


Time really does fly. It seems like just yesterday I was putting the little Peanut, (aka: Jimmy) down for naps in the crib in the window at our baby store downtown. I can clearly recall so many of his firsts. I will never forget his own language he developed at age 2 when he spoke in what seemed to be broken German/Pig-Latin: "boo-ubbin, gobbin-de-gobbin, lem-a-lem". I know you are not supposed to compare your kids but I wish the Doodle would start babbling. And, I will never forget the looks I'd get from strangers when he would ask me for Pooh Juice (apple juice) in public.

Today I woke up and there was this giant, over 5' tall, now a 4th grader laying next to me and the Doodle. His feet, which are as big as mine, were almost touching the footboard. It was 7:30 a.m. and I watched him peacefully sleeping and for once not talking back, and my breath was taken away. I can't believe how much he's grown, how very smart and handsome he has become. We are so lucky to have such a well-rounded young man.

Today this little giant was my date at one of my very best friend's son's graduation parties. I wasn't there for five minutes before I started crying. I took one look at her fully grown high school graduate and it hit me really hard, how fast they grow. Her son is a 6' 2" handsome, smart, talented young man ready to take on the world and all I could think about was when did that all happen? I've known this little beautiful little boy since he was born and now he is an amazing adult with his whole life ahead of him. He's polite, sweet, gorgeous and one of the best water skiiers and wake boarders I have ever seen. It was such a pleasure to be a part of watching him grow. Michelle, you must be so very proud. I know I am.

1 comment:

  1. Angela, Loved your post and thought of you as we are in Santa Rosa on a soccer tournament. My older son is going into sixth which means middle school in our school system. We have three more weeks until he is thrown "to the wolves". I am excited and nervous at the same time. Beautiful picture of your son. Your post made me tear up all over again. Kristin Brocklesby (Colby's Mom and Sundee's friend)

    ReplyDelete