The Alternative


Watching television lately has been more than depressing...probably something I ought to stay away from but it takes my mind off of my reality living with a little guy with Autism and Epilepsy.  It’s nothing but bad news and Real Housewives.  Devastation from the surge of Tornados in the Midwest and the South to the Giant’s fan, Brian Stowe, who is still fighting for his life after being brutally beaten at a season opener.  There’s the constant threat of terrorism, the world coming to an end, tax increases, poor judgment from politicians (so what else is new?), the state of our school system, abducted babies taken from their cribs, senseless crime, unemployment, increase in Cancer and other diseases….need I go on? 
Dora the Explorer and Blue’s Clues are beginning to make sense to me in a different way than before and I don’t mind having them on the T.V. instead of the alternative. Even watching the Celebrity Apprentice finale was depressing—yet enlightening.  One of the finalists, country singer John Rich, was doing the show to raise money for St. Jude’s Hospital and seeing the many children and families who are fighting for their lives and trying to save their kids from devastating diseases like Cancer was a huge wake up call for me.  Sadly but gratefully, it woke me up and reminded me to be thankful and blessed for everything I have and for my family.  There could be much worse things than having a nonverbal special needs child with autism and a seizure disorder so I think I need to get over myself and remember to look at the bright side of things more often instead of dwelling on this unfair hand I feel I have been dealt.

No comments:

Post a Comment