Bennie and the Jets

The Doodle has been walking around the house babbling a little bit. No more actual words since last Friday but he's doing a "bub-bub-bub" that's pretty darn cute. I think it makes the screaming a little easier to tolerate when he breaks it up with some "bub-bubs".He put these Elton glasses on tonight and with the "bub-bubs" it made me think of this song...

"Bub-Bub-Bub-Bub Bennie and the Jets".
Now if I can just find him some electric boots and a mohair suit we'd be set.

I could never understand the words to this song. It came out in 1974 when I was just six. For YEARS I've been singing them wrong so I just googled the lyrics. You will be amazed Bloggies at what this Cat is actually saying and I'm still scratching my head at what he's singing about:

Hey kids, shake it loose together
The spotlight's hitting something
That's been known to change the weather
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight
So stick around
You're gonna hear electric music
Solid walls of sound
chorus
Say, Candy and Ronnie, have you seen them yet
But they're so spaced out, B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets
Oh but they're weird and they're wonderful
Oh Bennie she's really keen
She's got electric boots a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine
B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets
Hey kids, plug into the faithless
Maybe they're blinded
But Bennie makes them ageless
We shall survive, let us take ourselves along
Where we fight our parents out in the streets
To find who's right and who's wrong


So now that I've disturbed you with Elton's lyrics I might mention that I refinished a dining room table I've had sitting in the garage for four years. It was in pieces and terrible condition. I couldn't give it away at our last garage sale. So when I say refinish, I'm using that term loosely. I slapped some black paint on it and hit it with the sander. Instant shabby chic. Go ahead kids, color on it, scrape it, scratch it. It just doesn't matter. The more rustic the better. I put it in our kitchen area, like a breakfast nook. I got tired of sitting at the bar, side by side, with our family to eat dinner. It felt a little disconnected. We have a formal dining room but the table is too long, it doesn't feel cozy in there either. We only eat in there on special occasions. So tonight we broke bread (I love saying that) at the round shabby table and it was really nice and Jim actually kicked it off with the saying of Grace and we had a collaborative meeting and will take turns saying it each night. Our new family tradition. Jimmy and Doodle Bug love it. We're going to eat dinner here as much as possible, I just need some chairs...and we're going to turn the tv off at dinner and be a family damn it. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment